Dog's Best Friend

Friday, November 17, 2006

Daddy Musings

PAH!

My dad’s favourite expression. I swear you’ve got to hear it to fully appreciate the oodles of scorn, derision, disgust and cynicism he puts into that one harmless-sounding syllable.

My brother: Dad, I think I suffer from claustrophobia
Dad: Pah!

Me: Dad, er…hmm…I think I’m a failure
Dad: Pah!

Mom: You know, if you ate more slowly, you wouldn’t suffer from heartburn
Dad: Pah!

Incredible, the range of reactions that one word can imply.

Dad’s the world’s worst customer.

Dad (to computer service guy): Madan, you can come home between 3 pm and 6 pm.
Madan: But sir, konjam kashtam…how about 7 o’clock?
Dad: Yennakku vera velai ille? (The vera velai being having dinner in 15 seconds flat and tumbling into bed by 8.30)
And so it goes on for the next 5 days wherein Madan can’t come between 3 and 6 and Dad sends back anyone who comes at 6.01. The day Madan promises to come after 3 pm, dad and mom are absconding.
Dad: “Well, he said after 3.”
Me: “But dad he did come at 5.30!”
Dad: After 3 sollitu, 5.30 kku vanda yenna artham??”
Me: Sigh. (Discreet phone call to Madan: “Madan, PLEASE PLEASE come at 3.15 PLEASE I BEG YOU”)

Oh and don’t miss his conversations with Credit Card saleswomen who call 10 times a day.
Hapless girl: Sir, we’re calling from Citibank and we’d like to offer you a personal loan…
Dad: Ok, I’ll take it
Astounded girl: Really? Er... I mean …
Dad (cutting in): On the condition that I don’t have to pay it back
(Or some equally sad remark)

Or if it’s a particularly bad day
Dad: STOP CALLING ME. STOP BOTHERING ME. YOU KEEP YOUR LOANS!
And BANG!

And of course there’s the (in)famous conversation my husband had with Dad for the first time.

Dad: So, where are you working?
Nervous Hubby: (Three word answer)
Dad (riding on the tail end of hubby’s answer): See, I want to tell you something about my daughter. She’s spoilt.
Me: Daaaaddd!
More Nervous Hubby: Er…really…sir…I don’t think
Dad: (shaking head dismissively) You don’t know anything. In spite of our best efforts she’s spoilt!
Me (thought blurb): Does he want me die an old maid?
And the rest of the conversation went thus:
Dad: Bla bla bla bla bla
Flustered Hubby: But…
Dad: No No no no …bla bla bla
Terribly Confused Hubby: I think….
Dad: What think? Nonsense…bla bla bla
Mute Hubby: (respectful silence)
Sympathetic Mom: Why don’t you let him talk?
Dad: PAH!

The funny thing is we love him for all this. Sometimes in spite of it. Especially the PAH! We love that and find innumerable ways to elicit a good, satisfying Pah.

4 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Your pooooor claustrophobic brother.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad we can't hear the PAH! Wd hv bin good!
And can't believe he actually had that convo with your husband! Did you also tell him in your opening dialogues to him "Yenakku kovam, ego, pidivadham ellam neraya undu!" And then he immediately said you* are the one I have always wanted to marry! :)

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Dog's Best Friend said...

Shoefie - had to sacrifice my brahther for the sake of literature ...:-) I hope he doesn't read my blog...

Noon: lol ...anyway I think dad did more of me-bashing than I had to.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. that was fun. pah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home